HAPPY INTERNATIONAL DAY OF PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES to all my fellow people with disabilities. This is our day to celebrate and honour each other and of course celebrate ourselves.
Last night I participated in a Twitter chat/ discussion hosted by AbleChildAfrica which gave me an idea for this blog post. I will share
The theme for 2016 is: Achieving 17 Goals for the Future We Want, which draws attention to the 17 Sustainable Development Goals and how these goals can create a more inclusive and equitable world for persons with disabilities. Just to recap those 17 Sustainable Development Goals are:
- End poverty in all its forms everywhere – click here for more information.
- End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture – click here for more information.
- Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all age – click here for more information.
- Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all – click here for more information.
- Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls – click here for more information.
- Ensure availability and sustainable – click here for more information management of water and sanitation for all.
- Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all – click here for more information.
- Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all – click here for more information.
- Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation – click here for more information.
- Reduce inequality within and among countries – click here for more information.
- Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable – click here for more information.
- Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns – click here for more information.
- Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts – click here for more information.
- Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development – click here for more information.
- Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss – click here for more information.
- Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels – click here for more information.
- Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development – click here for more information.
Q1 : To start us off,… Q1 What are the most important Sustainable Development Goals for Children with Disabilities?
I would say 10 reduced inequalities, 1 no poverty, 3 good health and well-being and 4 quality education. Once these goals are realised for children with disabilities, their lives will significantly improve for the better.
Q2: Great discussion! Q2. Which of the
#SDGs will be hardest to achieve for children with disabilities?
Definitely goal 4 quality education because of the discrimination towards children with disabilities.
Q3: Time for Q3! What role do we think
#children can have in achieving the
#SDGs are a 15 year plan. What would you like life to be like for children with disabilities in 2030!
Inclusion, equal opportunities, acceptance, a life free from discrimination. Being treated as important stakeholders in society.
Q5: Inspiring thoughts. For Q5. What are the biggest barriers to achieving the
#SDGs for children with disabilities?
Discrimination towards children with disabilities, lack of appropriate data, infrastructure, services and quality education.
Q6: Are there specific groups of children with disabilities at risk of remaining
Children with visual and speech impairments and those with hidden disabilities BUT let’s make sure no-one is left behin.
Gvts to ratify&implement UNCRPD have sound disability policies. Ultimately ALL should be creating a conducive environment for CWDs.
For now continue to raise awareness on disability issues on my blog.
Let us ALL work together to ensure we achieve these 17 Sustainable Development Goals especially for people with disabilities.
HAPPY INTERNATIONAL DAY OF PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES! 🙂 🙂 🙂 ❤