The temptation of Jesus is something that has been on my mind over the last few weeks ever since I had a lengthy Skype discussion about it with one of my little brothers. Matthew 4:1-11 is the account of how the devil tempted Jesus
- Matthew 4: 3-4 Now when the tempter came to Him, he said, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.” 4 But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’”
- Matthew 4: 5-7 Then the devil took Him up into the holy city, set Him on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written: ‘He shall give His angels charge over you,’ and, ‘In their hands they shall bear you up, Lest you dash your foot against a stone.’”7 Jesus said to him, “It is written again, ‘You shall not tempt the Lord your God.’
- Mathew 4:8-10 Again, the devil took Him up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. 9 And he said to Him, “All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me.”10 Then Jesus said to him, “Away with you, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.’”
In the first two temptations, the devil was attacking Jesus’ identity by asking “if You are the Son of God…” BUT because Jesus KNEW who He was, He knew He was the Son of God and He did not need to prove anything to anyone. Secondly because Jesus knew who He was, He easily defeated the devil when He was tempted. I believe one of the reasons we at times live defeated lives is because we don’t know who we are.
When you know who you are in Christ, you do not need to prove anything to anyone.
When you know who you are in Christ, you are not easily defeated by the devil.
When you know who you are in Christ, it gives you a strong foundation for your life.
When you know who you are in Christ, it gives you authority to tackle any life situation.
When you know who you are in Christ, it gives you confidence when the storms of life rage.
When you know who you are in Christ, you are free of condemnation.
Who you are in Christ
- I am loved. 1 John 3:3
- I am accepted. Ephesians 1:6
- I am a child of God. John 1:12
- I am Jesus’ friend. John 15:14
- I am a joint heir with Jesus, sharing His inheritance with Him. Romans 8:17
- I am united with God and one spirit with Him. 1 Corinthians 6:17
- I am a temple of God. His Spirit and his life lives in me. 1 Corinthians 6:19
- I am a member of Christ’s body. 1 Corinthians 12:27
- I am a Saint. Ephesians 1:1
- I am redeemed and forgiven. Colossians 1:14
- I am complete in Jesus Christ. Colossians 2:10
- I am free from condemnation. Romans 8:1
- I am a new creation because I am in Christ. 2 Corinthians 5:17
- I am chosen of God, holy and dearly loved. Colossians 3:12
- I am established, anointed, and sealed by God. 2 Corinthians 1:21
- I do not have a spirit of fear, but of love, power, and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7
- I am God’s co-worker. 2 Corinthians 6:1
- I am seated in heavenly places with Christ. Eph 2:6
- I have direct access to God Ephesians. 2:18
- I am chosen to bear fruit John. 15:16
- I am one of God’s living stones, being built up in Christ as a spiritual house. 1 Peter 2:5
- I have been given exceedingly great and precious promises by God by which I share His nature. 2 Peter 1:4
- I can always know the presence of God because He never leaves me Hebrews. 13:5
- God works in me to help me do the things He wants me to do Philippians 2:13
- I can ask God for wisdom and He will give me what I need. James 1:5
I pray in 2016 we all get a new and deeper revelation of who we are in Christ.